Welcome to the Norfolk Public Schools online application system for Out of District Transfer Requests, Request for Homeschool and Tuition Waivers!
Norfolk Public Schools is on a mission to ensure that all students maximize their academic potential, develop skills for lifelong learning and become successful contributors to a global society.
We believe Norfolk Public Schools is the cornerstone of a proudly diverse community with highly qualified teachers and staff dedicated to providing diverse teaching and learning opportunities for all students.
All requests will be checked for accuracy. Any falsification of information may result in your request not being processed and/or denied.
*Please also note that this website is optimized for IE 10.0 and higher, Safari, Chrome and Firefox.
Available for 2021-2022 School Year
Tuition Waiver Request (July 8, 2021 - June 30, 2022)
- For staff and families that live outside of the city of Norfolk.
Notification for Homeschool (July 8, 2021 - June 16, 2022)
- For students that reside in Norfolk and would like to notify the decision of home instruction.
Discontinuation of Homeschool (July 8, 2021 - July 7, 2022)
- For students who are currently homeschooled that want to return to NPS
Annual Evidence of Achievement (July 8, 2021 - August 1, 2022)
- For students who are currently homeschooled, to upload their annual evidence of acheivement
Norfolk Public Schools Out of District Transfer Permit Request Information
We would like to welcome you and your child to Norfolk Public Schools! Please read through the information below to identify the important information related to your request.
Guidelines and Procedures
- Please review the available "School/Grade Level Sheet" before submitting your request.
- You must submit one Out of District Transfer Request for each child.
- Please allow a minimum of (15) working days for processing. All requests will be processed before school begins.
- You will be notified via email of the status of your requests and if any documentation is required.
- If your request is approved, pleased be advised that TRANSPORTATION IS THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN (Regulation for Norfolk Public Schools Policy JC).
- Educational records (ie. grades, discipline, attendance) and available space is considered when reviewing applications.
- Athletic Involvement: Norfolk School Board Policy § 9-19: Any student who transfers from one secondary school to another within the city without a change of address and students who are granted court ordered custody, will be ineligible to participate in any VHSL activity for a period of one (1) year from the day of enrollment of the receiving school. Exceptions to this policy may only be granted by the superintendent or his/her designee.(Athletic Department).
- Before an ODT Permit Request can be considered, your child must be enrolled in his/her zoned school. Please refrain from removing your child from the zoned school prior to receiving notification regarding your request. If you have received confirmation that your child's ODT Permit Request has been approved, the parent/guardian must IMMEDIATELY enroll his/her child in the ODT school.
- For address verification at the school, please be prepared to a provide current bill (power, gas, water or sanitation), mortgage statement or current lease.
Schools Not Available for ODT Permit Requests
Please contact the school for more information.
- Pre-School - Early Learning and Title I
- Academy for Discovery at Lakewood - Application based - processed at the school
- Phone: 757-628-2477
- Southside STEM Academy at Campostella
- Phone: 757-494-3850
- Crossroads - Lottery - processed at the school
- Phone: 757-531-3050
- Chesterfield Academy - Application based - processed at the school
- Phone: 757-628-2544
- Ghent - Application based - processed at the school
- Phone: 757-628-2565
- Academy of International Studies at Rosemont
- Phone: 757-852-4610
- Specialty Programs - ex. IB program, Dodson - Application - processed at the school
- Athletic Placements
- Special Education Placement - Special Education Department
- Madison Alternative
- Phone: 757-628-3418
- McKinney Vento - Ta Tanisha Walton - Early Leaning and Title I
- Phone: 757-628-3921
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Norfolk Technical School
- Phone: 757-892-3300
- Open Campus
- Phone: 757-892-3224
Norfolk Public Schools Tuition Waiver Request Information
- It shall be the policy of the Norfolk Public Schools to charge tuition to students as presribed in sections §22-218.3 and §22-219 of the Code of Virginia.
- Waivers of tuition may be granted at the discretion of the superintendent for the following reasons:
Parent/Guardian moved from the City of Norfolk during the school year to a nearby community and expects the child or children to continue school in Norfolk with tuition waived. Tuition will be waived only under the following reasons:
Non-Residents of the City
- If the parent or guardian moves from the city after Thanksgiving, tuition will be waived until the end of the first semester only. People moving during the semester prior to Thanksgiving will not be granted a tuition waiver.
- If the parent or guardian moves from the city after spring break, tuition will be waived for the remainder of the regular school year only. People moving from the city during the second semester, but prior to spring break will not be granted a tuition waiver.
*Where tuition is due for a portion of the semester, it will be charged on a pro-rated basis.
Notification for Homeschool Information
All information regarding home instruction can be found in the Guidelines for Home Instruction in Virginia. You can access the handbook HERE.
Notification for Homeschool
This is for students who are currently attending an NPS school that would like to transition to home instruction. NPS will require one of the following:
- Copy of a teaching license or letter of eligibility for licensure in Virginia
- Evidence of your enrollment in a correspondence course or distance learning program or a list of courses to be studied
- Statement describing evidence of a parent/legal guardian's ability to provide an adequate education
- The parent must complete an Annual Evidence of Acheivement application at the conclusion of each year. Failure to do so will result in the student being placed on probation.
Annual Evidence of Achievement
At the conclusion of the year, the parents/guardians are required to upload documentation showing their child are receiving an adequate education. NPS requires the following be uploaded to the Family Dashoard:
- Achievement - composite score in or above the fourth stanine on any nationally normed standardized acheivement test or equivalent score on the ACT, SAT, or PSAT
- An evaluation or assessment which the school division superintendent determines to indicate that the child is acheiving an adequate level of educational growth and progress including, but not limited to:
- An evaluation letter from a person licensed to teach in any state or a person with a master's degree or higher in an academic discipline, having knowledge of the child's academic progress, stating that the child is acheiving an adequate level of educational growth and progress
- A report card or transcript from a community college or college, college distance learning program, or home-education correspondence school
Discontinuation of Homeschool
This is for students who are currently receiving home instruction but would like to return to their zoned NPS school.
A school board shall excuse from attendance at school: any pupil who, together with his parents by reason of bona fide religious training or belief is conscientiously opposed to attendance at school. For purposes of this subdivision, “bona fide religious training or belief” does not include essentially political, sociological or philosophical views or a merely personal moral code. -§22.1-254(B)(1). NPS requires the following documentation:
- A statement expressing your bona fide religious training or beliefs.
- A statement from your priest, pastor, minister, rabbi, mullah or some other spiritual leader attesting to your bona fide religious training or beliefs.
- A statement from someone else who can attest to your bona fide religious training or beliefs based upon personal interaction with you.
Norfolk Public Schools
Student Support Services
800 E. City Hall Avenue Suite 904
Norfolk, VA 23510
For Technical Support Contact:
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM